Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Getting crowded in here

As y'all know, I really can't draw.  With enough time, I can make something that is 'good enough' by simply redrawing it over & over, but nothing I do stands up to someone who's had some actual training  (and they probably knock it out in a fraction of the time too). 

So now I'm coming to the finishing touches for act 1, which is really just fleshing out the backgrounds.  There's a lot of empty rooms which aren't supposed to be empty, and I'm going through & fixing that.  The nice thing about this is that it's 'just' backgrounds.  So rather than my usual hundred passes to get something good enough, I'm going through & only redrawing each NPC a couple of times.  Basically whatever I can stand in a single sitting.  And y'know what?  It's really fun.  I had forgotten how much I enjoy drawing.  The additional time to make it good (if you call my art good) is such a joykill that I found myself really dreading going through & adding in these guys.  Now I'm playing with poses I would have never even attempted before.  Does it look good?  Not so much.  Hell, some of the perspectives & angles are downright wrong.  But it looks better than the empty room, and I think it really helps set the mood a bit.  For example, here's a before/after full view of the Rec Area:





So yeah, I'm all tickled with myself right now for having the drawing ability of a middle schooler.  What can I say, it's good to be the creator.  ;P  Anyway, I'm enjoying myself & making progress, which is two wins in my book.  Plus this practice will almost certainly help me later when it comes time to draw the next round of monsters.

DirtyC101

8 comments:

  1. You're still a better drawer than me...

    They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey DirtyC! It's me, your frequent donator. (Xander) You know who I am. Your art is great! Much more than I could manage. I'm a math furson, but hun... don't worry about your art. It's more than enough to please your fans, we're not art critics -- we're playing a sex game. It's a good game too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey. Awesome update. It's great to have more things to look at than 10 feet of a wall with several pipes. lol

    Anyway, it might be too soon to ask, but after you've practice up on the art, will you be updating any previous stages to par with your skills in the future? Or will the quality of the game just get gradually better and better the higher you get in levels? =P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I doubt my art will improve so much from the start to the end of the game that you'll see much of a difference. Maybe from game to game, but probably not across a single one. At best, you'll notice that I try harder in some places (mainly the heros), while not so much in others (backgrounds).
    DirtyC101

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey man im a college student heading into the portland institutes and ive always enjoyed games like this i was curious if there was anyway i can help out im not asking to get paid or nothing but this is kind of the side project work that i like to do

    ReplyDelete
  6. They playin' strip poker at the side, and one of them is losing badly?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not familiar with the Portland Institute, but I gather it's some sort of art school? Check back here in a few weeks. I'll be posting draft copies of the act2 monters, and I'd love to have someone give them a once over & point places I can improve.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ok cool i can look it over the only thing i can say about the original beta is are you planning to do a gallery as well or have like an invulnerable cheat because im more on the art side and not so much on the engine but i can learn the engine well just from tutorials oh by the way if it isnt too much to say as a tip what ive seen before is making the character masterbate as a way to gain life and maybe for a means of like buying weapons or amror the character can do quest or whore herself out to the quest maker to make some extra benjamins$$$

    ReplyDelete