Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Wiggle it, just a little bit

So, I've been working on the final boss for the first act.  Let's just say that if you like tentacles, you're going to be happy.  And if ya don't, no worries, I believe this is the last appearance for a while. 

So now my mind's on tentacles.  (Not a terrible place to be, really ;)  In the beta, the few tentacles we do see are pretty chill.  They just kinda sit there & rock back & forth a bit.  That doesn't seem right, in my mind they should be writhing & wiggling all over the place.  When I try to do that however, it comes out looking like crap.  I see spazing & just jumping around rather than the wiggle movement I want. 

Which bring me to the link below, which is illustrating the method I'm trying right now.  The actual motion of the tentacle is very similar, but I'm redrawing the outline every other frame.  This makes it seem like it's bouncing around a lot.  It's pretty close to what I'm trying to achieve.  The underlying motion is still rather chill, I may go through one more time & amp that up a bit.  But otherwise I'm pretty happy with the improvement.




(I also posted this simply because I didn't know how to embed flash files into a browser. I seem to have figured it out. Hooray for copy/paste. ;)

DirtyC101

7 comments:

  1. I prefer the new tentacle animation. It produces more sensation of living creature. But drawing every single frame needs lot of work.
    I suggest you to use the 'form animation" tool from Flash, or even mixing form animations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the new one looks great--a little bit of tweaking would help, sure, but the direction it's taking is a good one.

    By the way, has anyone mentioned that you're doing a great job? 'Cause, you're doing a great job here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! And you can tell when you're done the same job?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you got it right with the pulsing look, but I think if the top part of its giong to move that much the underside should push out and angle the mid portion to the left, then smooth out the edge left and it should look good

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the new sprites. Keep up the great work. Didn't think you'd improve on this game so much. Surprised and impressed. Wish I could make stuff like this. =P I'd probably make a simdate game with my OCs or something. lol

    Anyway, I love the old demo. Can't wait to see what you have planned for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How many acts are there gonna be? And are you going to release any more betas or wait till its finished completely?

    ReplyDelete
  7. The new look is certainly good. It fits the overall style much better, although I'm not a fan of tentacles. But hey, I get squicked by tentacles, herms or multi-genitalia but wouldn't mind animals/feral furries as friend or foe in upcoming acts so I'm not going to complain :D

    ReplyDelete