Tuesday, January 11, 2011

So much to learn about hats

So earlier this week I was busy drawing a wizard hat. Here's the picture below, I honestly thought it came out pretty well.

About an hour later, I was surfing around & saw the same hat by another author in a comic called Gothic Faeries (available here, warning: dickgirls). Same idea, same size, even the band is the same color.


But there's so much more to it than I had even considered. Look at all the details. There's extra bends & the outline is chipped & cut, the highlight follows the cloth. Even the yellow band has some additional texture lines to show how the cloth is bunched up. I also really like how the traceline changes color to red in places, makes it feel like it's made from cloth.

So guess the point I'm at here is there's so much for me to learn about drawing still, and likely will be for years to come. =)
-DirtyC101

No comments: