Saturday, January 15, 2011

Beating the bugs


So, although I don't plan to use any more of Playshapes' models, I keep the lizardfolk around for testing.  About a month ago, I noticed that they were flickering like crazy.  Imagine the four frames above cycling rapidly.  It was pretty annoying, but I didn't think much of it, as I knew I was going to be dumping these sprites later.  I did fiddle with them a bit though, & realized that every time I go edit these particular sprites, the problem goes away until my next work session.

Time goes on & I start building my own monsters.  And now, they too have the same flickering problem.  Now I'm a bit more worried.  So, I delete the lizards, update all my sprites, and the problem doesn't go away.  Fast forward past all the bug hunting, & it turns out that one of my sprites was corrupted, but not the lizards.  The problem sprite (movieclip) wasn't actually flickering at all, but it was causing the problem in other sprites.  I found it by dumb luck really.  I happened to have a backup from day 1, and I could make the flickering problem happen there too.  The only 'new' sprite in there was a door.  Sure enough, delete the door & update, & the problem goes away.  So, I guess the moral of the story here is keep your backups.  Oh, & don't ignore bugs & plan to fix them later.  The less code you have to search through, the better.

-DirtyC101

No comments: