Sunday, March 20, 2011

Story & Update

I spent a large amount of time this weekend working on the game, and I'm glad to say I made a ton of progress.  All the critical features are now done, so I shouldn't have any problem posting a playable demo in April.  That doesn't mean I'm happy with it yet, but the game now 'works' for lack of a better term.  I think I'm going to set the release date on tax day (April 15th for those of you not in America).  Let's face it, there's not much else to celebrate that day, so figured I'd bring a small bit of joy to everyone in my own way.  hahaha.  There's still lots of smaller features & just general polish I'd like to add, so we'll see how many of those I can include before then.

I want to talk a bit about the story, or more precisely, the back story.  One of the things that rather bothered me about Krystal / K. Fox is that they have personal spaceships, and yet they're running around fighting with their bare hands.  You'd think they'd have something a little more high-tech for weapons.  Some sort of energy weapon or blaster, plus maybe a vibro-knife or a chainsword.

So why aren't they carrying them?

There's a lot of potential explanations here, but in the end I went with the old MacGuffin - they end up on a planet where energy weapons don't work.  I can't even count how many times Star Trek has pulled that one out.  The planet is one of medieval fantasy and is of course inhabited with plenty of bad guys, but also other potential heroes.  So at the character selection screen, you'll have your choice between a rescuer sent to search for a missing spaceship, or a local inhabitant who is trying to figure out what that giant meteor was last night.  I'm hoping it makes for an interesting mix of both sci-fi & fantasy.  We'll see how well it goes together.

-DirtyC101

2 comments:

  1. excellent work from what I see, I hope to see playable version soon ^ ^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see that you've made a ton of progress on the core parts of the game. It sounds like you have a lot more work to do before you consider the game complete. I'm glad you've set a 'hard date', though anyone with experience in making games knows all too well that those hard dates don't always stick.

    Can't wait to see how your plot unfolds.

    ReplyDelete