Tuesday, July 3, 2012

July Update

Next Game Release: Summer-ish

So the only big things left to do are animate the human boss & final boss. So it would make sense that I'd be working hard on that. Naturally, that's not the case. Instead, I've been working on:



Yeah, I think one person commented that the game wasn't as hard as he was expecting. So clearly it made sense to work on that. lol. No really, I've actually been working on Horde mode a bunch. Rather than flood the screen with mobs, I wanted to try increasing their difficulty. Once I had that piece of code, it seemed like it wouldn't be too hard to incorporate it back into story mode as well. Turns out I was wrong on that part, so when the next release comes out, I'll be asking y'all to specifically look for spots where this is broken. heh.

And for those of you who wanted an invulnerability code... well, okay, this isn't it. But I also added the code "Softer", which will reduce the game difficulty. I think you'll find it's getting pretty close. Just don't go overboard with it, or the mobs will just flop over in seconds regardless of how you set the grapple duration.

In related news, I've been going through the tutorials over at http://www.codecademy.com/. My 'formal' programming training stops at loops & if/else statements. So much of "object oriented programming" is just lost on me. I'm slowly fixing that. They don't have Actionscript specifically, but Javascript has been close enough so far. It's also been inspiring me to write slightly better code, so I've been going back & revamping large chunks to use functions, rather than having the same code copy/pasted into 10 different spots. Yeah, I'm sure that will break something too. The great thing about programming - it punishes you for doing it 'right'. =D

DirtyC101

(Edit - For some reason like 1/3 of the text keeps getting hi-lighted in white.  I also think I'm seeing individual words in the wrong font.  Think I've fixed it, but damn, WTF?)

21 comments:

  1. :-D my bro mentioned that code site to me few weeks ago & I do find it interesting to take up some javascript courses. The loops aren't that of a big deal except the last 2 steps, just wish the teacher could have been more understandable like Leng Lee.
    In other case keep up the good work on your game. We can wait ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. what he said ;) I'm just starting to learn about actionscript and abit of website programming.
    It's just beginning and I already feel it's quite tough, so take your time. Good job as always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im not gonna lie
    Flash animation programming is HARD
    I can barley make through it myself
    The biggest thing is probably the drawing
    I have no idea how you do it dirtyc101
    It's nice to see another post, but just a heads up summers already started lol unless you live in some far place from Canada/US
    I really like that your making the horde mode actually harder rather than just adding more and more enemys cuz that's just boring
    I like the harder idea gonna be much more intresting

    ReplyDelete
  4. You haven't used functions until now? Wow, it might be a lot easier to just start the code over from scratch then trying to redo it in a new format... Granted you can certainly use old resources in the new program. Trust me though when I say that once functions are reliably in your code, it will make the whole thing a hell of a lot easier to debug and add new features to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a few already, but it was copy/paste from examples. I didn't really grasp how it was working or how to pass variables. As for starting over, I think that's the trap a lot of new programmers get themselves into. They learn a few new tricks, and rather than finish what they've started, they decide to scrap their cool little demo & start over. It sounds reasonable enough, but since we're constantly learning, that means ya never finish a game. So figure I'll press on with what I've got, and only switch over to functions in spots where it's really really bad. heh.

      Delete
  5. So i probably just missed the post or missread something, but how do you set the grapple duration? XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Open the inventory. There's 2 buttons in the top right corner. One changes graphics quality, the other controls how fast the grapples progress. Not obvious, but it's there.

      Delete
    2. Thanks. Life is cruel, I love games yet I am blind in one eye. Cursed Irony.

      Delete
  6. Personally i tried as3 and it's more confusing than as2 in my opinion because they changed the codes around and all
    Hey whats act 3 gonna be anyways? whats the theme?
    Or is that a surprise?

    ReplyDelete
  7. What does the grapple speed do?
    I didin't notic anything different

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The animation speed doesn't change, but the duration does. So setting it to extra long will make the grapples take much longer to complete. Or, if you don't want to see the grapples, you can set them to a shorter duration. Yeah, I don't think anyone choses that, but it's there... haha
      DirtyC101

      Delete
    2. Thanks
      I think the grapple speed button's gonna be broken when im done with it ;)

      Delete
  8. can you stop wasting time doing stuff that nobody cares about and work on the final bosses already? or even better upload what you've done since the last update.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Its not easy? It would probably not be no, but your making us wait too god damn much. Your asking for the impossible.

      Delete
    3. LMFAO. Dude, I don't let my boss give me orders like that, and he pays real money. I'm glad you're excited about my game, but this ain't the way to show it. Chill a bit, game will get done when it gets done.
      DirtyC101

      Delete
    4. I dont think he should upload what he's done just yet
      The next beta in my opinion should release when act 2 is atleast finished
      Releasing it now would not be that awesome b/c there isn't too much new just yet
      I'd prefer to wait

      Delete
  9. i been playing the game and im starting to think you cant beat the game as the warrior cuz you dont have the spirit and even with the hat on i cant fix the gene am i doing something wrong cuz you need 5 to make the pipe and i can only ever get 4

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a FAQ section on this very page that will answer questions just like this. Check the upper right corner, just under the link to the game.

      In this particular case, Farah needs to find a different method for fixing the long leaking pipe. Go search around the crew quarters.
      DirtyC101

      Delete
  10. You know what i just realized?
    If were getting this crazed waiting for the game release...
    Whats gonna happen when the game GETS released lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. Neither the code 'Harder' or the code 'Softer' work. Every time I type them in (regardless of how I type them) it keeps saying 'invalid code'. Did you change them for any reason? :/

    Other than that, it's a great game, keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete