Friday, February 4, 2011

February Update

So where's that game at anyway? ;P

It always boggles my mind how much progress I have made, and yet how much more there is to go. I'm really just tickled at some of the programming tricks I'm teaching myself as I go. I'm using functions & subroutines, moving to local variables instead of global ones, nesting statements to minimize lag... I even cut the main body of code down from over 1000 lines to just over 600. Really, all sorts of fun tricks that I 'should' be thinking about as a programmer.

And then I look at my to-do list for the game. It's down to 3 pages long, and I haven't even added in stuff for the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th stage yet. There's just so much to get done. I may release a beta at some point, not so much to drum up interest, but rather so I can have a 'break'. I'm having a blast making this, but I don't want to burn out either.

Anyway, some screen shots below to give y'all an idea of how it's coming together. There's a lot of extra garbage on the screen which I'm using to help me decode bugs & whatnot. The green circles, or pretty much anything in pink is just testing stuff, so don't pay it too much attention. And looking at these pictures reminds me that I still haven't settled on a... HUD? Not sure what you call all the interface / display stuff, but one menu is a plain white bar, while another is a poorly drawn paper scroll, & the grapple menu is just floating bars. Okay, I kinda like that one. Heheh. Ah well, one more thing for the to-do list. =)

-DirtyC101

No comments: